Are Air Upgrades Important?
Upgrading your air distribution system with “air upgrades” are a great way to increase the enjoyment of your home. The most important factors when it comes to air upgrades is what can we do to increase Comfort, Efficiency, Health and Safety.
While each air upgrade is unique, we are going to give you some ideas for typical materials and tool list so you can complete an air upgrade.
Air Upgrade Materials
You can increase the comfort in your home by getting a two gallon container of water based duct sealant. Duct sealant is frequently called “mastic” or “pookey”. By sealing up the small cracks, holes, and gaps in your duct work you will increase the HVAC efficiency and the level of comfort in the home. Sometimes mastic can get messy though. Another great choice is listed aluminum foil tape.
Duct insulation in areas of your home that are not conditioned can result in massive energy savings. These areas include the attic and crawlspace. Air upgrades like duct insulation can really cut down on energy costs. Most flexible round duct has insulation between R-6 and R-8. On square duct we like to install 48″ wide rolls of R-8 insulation.
You would be surprised how frequently you should clean your air conditioning coils. Each year we tune-up hundreds of air conditioners. Unfortunately, we see a lot of neglected systems. Once dirt becomes lodged in between the aluminum coil fins the air flow is diminished and efficiency goes down. You should get ac coil cleaning performed annually.
DIY Air Upgrade Kit
While each air upgrade is unique, this kit provides a typical material and tool list. This these tools, parts and supplies you will be able to complete the typical air upgrade.
- Two gallons of good quality water-based duct sealant
- Significant selection of R-6 or better flexible ducting
- Assortment of cut-in style balancing dampers
- Selection of start collars and elbows
- Assortment of boots and cans
- Bag of panduit straps
- Square duct slips and drives
- Roll of R-8 or better duct insulation
- Can of spray glue
- Roll of metal wire
- Rolls of approved foil tape
- 2″ duct strapping
- Bucket of self tapping sheet metal screws
- 26 gauge sheet metal
- Two tubes of high quality silicone or caulk
- Air conditioner coil cleaning solution
- Low pressure drop replacement air filters
- Roll of adhesive mesh
- New grilles and registers
- Eye and ear protection
- 3″ disposable paint brushes
- Wire brush
- Duct stretcher
- Duct cutting knife for flex duct
- Shop vacuum cleaner
- Dust cloths
- Shoe bootie covers
- Nitrile gloves
“I Need to Find an HVAC Contractor Near Me!”
You work hard to keep your home comfortable and operating smoothly. Don’t let an HVAC emergency undo all your work and cost you hundreds, if not thousands, in repairs! Call (605) 206-3303, or schedule a visit from our Sioux Falls HVAC heroes online!